Wednesday, April 27, 2011

twenty one awesome things from my childhood.


1. Now and Then


The best movie ever made. Try to tell me you didn't pause it at the part with the naked boys. I know you did. It's okay, everyone did it.


2. Beanie Babies

Somehow the makers of these bad boys had us all convinced that they would be valuable one day. What a crock of shit. But they were still awesome. Remember the magazines? And protectors for the fucking tags?



3. Barbie


A real classic. Who didn't have at least 20. I especially loved to buy my Barbie and Kelly matching outfits. I never had a proper Ken, instead a New Kids on the Block Substitute:

he had a rat tail.



4. Kitty Kitty Kittens


These things purred when you squeezed their internal organs, I mean, how awesome is that?!



5. Mary Kate and Ashley


I don't know if I have ever loved anything or anyone more than these two. Brother for Sale, Full House, You're Invited To..., The Adventures of Mary-Kate and Ashley, How the West was Fun, It Takes Two, Billboard Dad, Passport to Paris, Winning London, To Grandmother's House We Go, Double Double Toil and Trouble, Two of a Kind, So Little Time. SO MUCH FUCKING AWESOMENESS! Seriously.



6. Rugrats

where the hell is Suzie Carmichael?
This show was hilarious. I think I've seen every episode at least twenty times.



7. Sailor Moon


Second to my Mary-Kate and Ashley obsession, Sailor Moon ruled my life for quite some time. In fact, I used to pray to Jesus every night for one of those transformation wands. Never got one. Still rattled to this day.



8. Babysitter’s Club


Friggin' loved this shit. The vacation specials, Karen the little sister. The movie. The TV show. All of it.



9. Macarena


The best dance ever created. How can you forget busting this bad boy out at the school sock hops?



10. Polly Pocket

Back in the day, Polly was tiny as fuck. Her little collectible worlds had tiny beds and ponds and skating rinks. Polly usually only lasted a week before you lost her tiny ass though.



11. Cootie Catchers/Fortune Tellers


These bad boys determined everyone's futures. Imagine my glee when my German professor had us make them last semester! 




12. Neopets

Neopets came later in life, with the revolution that was the internet. It taught me a very important life lesson: I have an addictive personality and should never gamble with real money. I was hooked on blowing money at all of the Fortune Wheels, but didn't buy my pet's food so they always got free omlette. I'm a terrible person.


13. Pokemon


This fad took my school by storm. Kids bought and traded cards like crack. I never really played the game, I just liked to collect them. And watch the TV show religiously. Fuckin' Team Rocket.



14. Scholastic


Oh my gawd. My mother would rarely let me order things, but I could usually sweet talk my Grandma. Everything looks ten times better in a scholastic book order. Especially those collector's sets with bonus ponies. Scholastic was a precursor to online shopping habits.



15. I SPY


Who couldn't spend hours poring over those pages, looking for the tiny fucking thimble. Good times.



16. Super Solvers Math Games


My babysitter had this game on her old school Mac, it's a wonder my math skills aren't better considering how much time I spent playing it.



17. Fruit by the Foot

Is there any other way to eat fruit?



 18. Tamagotchis


They gave you real hands on pet care experience.



19. Dunkaroos


Cookies? DIPPED IN ICING?! Holy shit! What more could a kid want?



20. Gel Pens


All the rage in my formative years (ie grade four). Teachers hated them, I couldn't get enough of them. All of your most important notes had to be written in gel for effect.



21. Magic School Bus


I have never learned as much in a university class as I did watching the Magic School Bus. I'm talkin' serious life lessons, like eating too many sea-weedies will make you turn orange.



What did I miss, what are you're favorite childhood memories? xx

4 comments:

  1. bahaha omg this is my childhood in a nutshell... also, remember pogs and crazy bones? or puppy in my pocket?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha, meerkat chase was the best thing about my day. Also, gel pens and black notebooks were such a beautiful marriage of stationary. Don't forget snap bracelets!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hadal of Wales you better back off my title if you know what's good for you. Just kidding, looooooooove you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm more than willing to enter a polygamous relationship with you and him. We can start a commune! A sexy, sexy commune!

    ReplyDelete